Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Arranged Meetng

They were sitting at a posh cafe for their second date... actually it would be wrong to call it a date, it was more of a meeting - a meeting to discover each other's likes and dislikes, a meeting to figure out if they were compatible, a meeting to confirm whether they would want to get married or not.

He was telling her about his mother's superb cooking. She was listening silently, sipping her coffee.

"I guess we have been really pampered by her. She always cooked and somehow I have never liked a maid's food. It doesn't have the same taste as your mother or wife's," he picked up a cookie and bit it into half, "I hope you can cook?" He looked at her with a questioning smile, wiping cookie crumbs from his face.

She handed him a paper napkin, "I can, can you?"

"Oh no, no... I can't. I only know how to eat," he smiled and picked up his coffee mug, "actually with studies and work, I never got the time."

She nodded, "how educated are you?"

"MBA," he said proudly.

"Me too. What are your office timings?" She sipped her coffee looking up at her from over her mug.

"Uhm..." he shifted in his seat. He felt a little disconcerted under her unnerving gaze, "I leave around 8:30 in the morning and come back home at 9-9:30. It's almost a 12 hour shift."

"Mine too and I could still find the time to learn to cook, why couldn't you?"

"Uhm... mm."

"Anyway, let it be. So, hypothetically, if we decide to get married, my office would be on the opposite side so it would take me an hour more to commute."

"O-Kay," he said completely clueless as to where the conversation was heading.

"So if you are against keeping a cook and you can't cook, that means I have to get up early and make breakfast, pack lunches, and prepare dinner?" She asked.

He shrugged, "I guess... every woman does that."

"Hmm... so you could maybe help me around the house? You know maintain the house, clean up, do the laundry--"

"Do the laundry?!" He interjected, a little angrily, "that's a woman's job! You want me to wash clothes after I come tired from work?"

"A woman's job? What's so womanly in putting clothes in a washing machine...? And besides if I can cook after coming from a similiar 12 hr shift, why can't you wash the clothes?"

"I can't do all this," he said shaking his head in irritation.

"Well then, I can't do this," she said getting up, leaving behind her share of the cheque.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it... Share it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...