This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 17; the seventeenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
Men through all ages and centuries, since the time of the ever-so-elusive Cleopatra, have been trying to solve THE MYSTERY of the enigma that is a woman. Who is she? What does she feel? What does she mean when she says this or when she says that? There are many theories floating in the air... some of them are true and many of them are false.
A woman is a mother, she will love you like one, she might also trouble you and demand pampering like a daughter, she will sometimes take care of you like a girlfriend, understand you like a friend, support you like a wife and look up to you like a sister, she can be a force to be reckoned with when angered... she is all that and much more.
Women are very complex creatures and I have taken it upon myself this mammoth responsibility of unravelling the mystery of the woman, (what does a woman want her man to know!), so here goes nothing...
- First and foremost, women love pampering. However much they deny it, but the bottom line is that they love it. Period.
- All women want their respective man to be self-sufficient. Someone who they can take home to meet their family and proudly introduce as 'the one'.
- However career-oriented a woman might be, she will still want her man to take care of her and provide for all the basic necessities, that is roti, kapda and makaan. But that doesn't mean she can't take care of herself. She can and she also likes to contribute some percentage. So let her.
- Their career is as important for them as yours is for you. Belittling it will take you nowhere, if you know what I mean!
- Women love shopping. We can’t explain it but we have to buy that expensive pair of shoes even if we never wear them. Most of the times, there is no logic behind shopping and we want you, the men, to understand that and stop questioning the reason for spending so much on a pair of sunglasses!
- When we say 'Fine!'... We and/or things are obviously anything but fine... and when we say, nothing, there is always something! Giving up on asking what's that matter is not an option. Not a good option anyway.
- Sometimes, just sometimes, we want you to understand what we want to say without our actually saying it.
- Women might get attracted towards your bad-boy image, but that is only because they believe they can change that into a good-boy one!
- Women are emotional. Very very emotional. They think from their heart and in the process get hurt often. They want you to be the one who will never hurt them.
- Keep the criticism to the minimum... about our cooking skills (we are not competing with your mom’s cooking!), our driving (we hate it when you comment about the way we drive!), our electrical or electronic skills et al.
- Women hate being treated like a child. (We don't mind being pampered like one though!) So, if you have to explain something, do it like an adult. Don’t think that if we don't understand something in the first time, we never will.
- STOP LYING. Stop lying to avoid confrontations, stop lying for our benefit. Just stop lying. Don’t challenge our intelligence by making statements like that you lie for our (women's) own good. The saying - 'truth always comes out' is true. We will ultimately find out about all the lies. It might take hours, days, or maybe even years but we will find out and then you have had it. So, stop lying! (Omitting details and hiding the facts also constitute as lying. stop doing that too.)
- Ignoring a problem will not make it go away. Talking helps. All women believe that.
- If you keep us happy, it will show... in the kitchen and in the bedroom. ;)
- Small surprises go a long way.
- Mood swings don't happen only during 'that' time of the month... it can happen anytime, anywhere. As soon as you learn to identify them, the better it would be for you. And it would help to agree with her during those times. If she says it is hot, it is hot. Is she says it is cold, it is cold.
- When we ask how your day went. Fine is not the answer we expect or are looking for. Asking the aforementioned question is a way of us trying to be a part of your life.
- When we ask about your past… we want to know all the gory details. Not because we are sadists, but because we don’t repeat them. (and also to get an idea whether it is even worth it to invest our time and energy in you)
- We also need our girls' night out... where we don't only talk about you guys.
- We gossip. We bitch. We drink. We also abuse. Get over it!
- When we say yes, we mean maybe. When we say no, we mean maybe. When we say maybe, we mean No. and we want you to understand what we mean. (why? well... we are just programmed like that! :P )
- Women like being chased. Not stalked, but wooed. And crappy and cheesy lines are an absolute no-no. Put some thought into it.
- Looks are not as important as they are for men but that doesn't mean we are blind and have no sense of smell. A well-kept man is always attractive.
- We know all of you are going the metro sexual way but no woman would like her man to frequent the parlour more than her! Follow basic hygiene and that is enough.
- Manners. Etiquette. Chivalry. If you have not heard of them, then STAY AWAY! Vulgarity and cheapness is meant for boys' night out. Keep it there only.
- We speculate so don't give us reasons to indulge in speculations. The sooner you understand that the longer the relationship would last.
- Men don't remember dates, women do. We will remind you as long as you make it special. And god save you if you forget even after all the reminders.
- If you are not good at flirting, go get good before approaching us.
- Make the foreplay interesting and we will make the rest of your night ;)
- We get jealous. Very very jealous. So maintain distance with the fairer sex. One arm can constitute as appropriate distance. (and mingling with exes is fine as long as we are in the picture. Nothing behind our backs!)
- If we are silent, then go through every conversation we have had in the near past to figure out what have you done wrong.
- Never, ever forget our birthdays. NEVER.
- Helping around the house doesn't make you weak, it makes you very strong… in our eyes.
- There is a fine line between being cutely jealous and being obsessively possessive. Do the former and avoid the latter. Don’t cross that line.
- When we talk, listen. There is a difference between hearing and listening. We know when you are faking it.
- We remember not only important dates and events but also every conversation we have had with you. So you are better off not using any old argument for your sake.
- A woman wants commitment…not inking-our-names-on-your-body kinds but a promise that she is and will be the most important person in your life...
- We understand (sometimes) that you can’t contain your emotions and you have to look at every other girl but can you please not make it that obvious?
- We might not be the most beautiful girl you know, but we DO NOT like to hear it.
- Pulling our leg in a cute way is acceptable but making fun of us in front of your friends and family (even if they are our friends too) is not.
- Diamonds are a girl’s best friend… chocolates, shoes, bags, dresses, perfumes, make-up are our other close friends!
- Your ex might have some good qualities but for us she will always be a b****. We don’t want to hear her praises again and again (or even once for that matter).
- Taking us out for shopping is the best medicine to cheer us up – ALMOST ALWAYS!
- Don’t expect us to be dolled up all the time with manicured hands and perfect hairstyle… that takes a LOT of time and effort. We are not movie starts and we like being lazy too.
- When we take hours to dress up for our better half, that is you, we expect a better response than 'you look good.' or 'are you done yet?'
Do drop in a comment and let me know what you think and also if you want to add to the list :)
P.S. - before anyone bites my head off, let me add a disclaimer - exceptions are always there. And if you are, good for you! :P
P.P.S - the list has been compiled with great help from my very dear friend KAMNA ;)